SSH/INACSL Regional Workshops
Request for Proposals
Description of SSH and INACSL Regional Workshops
The Society of Simulation in Healthcare (SSH) and the International Nursing Association for Clinical
Simulation and Learning (INACSL) approved a partnership in the development and delivery of
educational workshops. The 1-day, educational workshop is designed to be a collaborative learning
opportunity for persons working in and developing simulation programs. The background and
objectives of the workshop are provided below.
The National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN), in 2014, released the results of their national
simulation study, which concluded that up to 50% of simulation could be effectively substituted for
traditional clinical experiences under certain conditions for Prelicensure nursing students. These results
were achieved using:
• INACSL Standards of Best Practice: Simulation℠
• High quality simulations
• Debriefing methods grounded in educational theory using subject matter experts
• Adequate numbers of trained and dedicated simulation faculty
The NCSBN Simulation Guidelines for Prelicensure Nursing Programs were published in October 2015.
This article provides the following guidelines along with evidence and resources for each.
• There is leadership and faculty commitment on the part of the school responsible for the
• Program has appropriate facilities for conducting simulation.
• Program has the educational and technological resources and equipment to leverage simulationbased
teaching and learning to meet the intended curriculum objectives.
• Lead faculty and simulation lab personnel are qualified to conduct simulation
• Faculty are prepared to lead simulations.
• Program has an understanding of policies and processes that are a part of the simulation
Faculty, simulation leaders and administrators will review the study, results, and subsequent guidelines
for local and national implications. In addition, local simulation leaders representing INACSL and SSH
will review simulation standards and resources available to assist schools and/or organizations as they
advance simulation in a changing regulatory environment.
• Standards of Best Practice: Simulation℠
• SSH Accreditation of Healthcare Simulation Programs
• Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE)
• Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator – Advanced (CHSE-A)
• Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist (CHSOS)
Reason for RFP
Based on the desire to take a balanced approach to building a strong program that considers realistic
expectations and value, SSH & INACSL believes partnership with local entities allows the opportunity to
provide focused education to the targeted audience. The SSH/ INACSL Regional Workshop has the
opportunity to be a quality program that provides educational benefits to the target population and
geographic region and will allow for partnership with local colleges, universities and hospitals across the
country. SSH/INACSL are seeking organizations in the following geographic locations in 2017:
• Spring 2017 – Springfield, MO
• Spring 2017 – Amarillo, TX
• Fall 2017 – Salt Lake City, UT
• Fall 2017 –Birmingham, AL
SSH & INACSL use a quality-based selection process. Each submission will be reviewed against the
description of services requested, the submitted proposal, and the ability to meet the needs of the event.
Include the following in your proposal:
• Background on the simulation program including years of operation
• Ability to accommodate a workshop for up to 100 attendees
• Large lecture hall availability and capacity
• Staff available to assist during workshop
• Availability of onsite audio/visual resources
• Prior experience hosting or conducting educational events
• Onsite parking at no cost
• Ability to facilitate catering for food and beverages
• Proximity to hotels
• Types of nearby hotels
• Distance from nearest airport
• Available Spring/Fall dates to hold the 1 day workshop based on the geographic location
Please send proposal by December 5, 2016 at 5:00pm EDT to:
Society for Simulation in Healthcare
Please contact the SSH Executive Director Jennifer Manos.