Fellows of the SSH Academy are a group of leaders and renowned simulationists who have made outstanding and sustained contributions to the field of healthcare simulation. Becoming an SSH Fellow offers many benefits including: recognition for your contributions to SSH and to healthcare simulation; contributing to the future path and project directions of SSH; and influencing or advancing the art, science, and practice of healthcare simulation as part of the SSH Academy. Fellows are expected to be active in the SSH Academy and to advance the mission and vision of SSH and the SSH Academy through high level initiatives.
The application submission period for the Academy Class of 2020 is now closed.
- Must have been a member of SSH for five years
- A combination of:
- Substantial contributions to SSH
- Substantial contributions to the field of healthcare simulation
Even though the application period is now closed, you can consider reviewing what is needed should you desire to apply in the future. It is strongly suggested that you complete the Self Assessment Worksheet before making your decision to apply for Fellowship in the Academy.
Applicants should complete the following:
- Identify two individuals who can complete a reference that describes your contributions to SSH and/or the healthcare simulation and have them complete the online reference form (only two references per applicant)
- Complete the online application which includes submitting your simulation-focused CV
- Make sure your SSH profile is up to date and includes accurate records of your service
- Submit your application payment (click on the button at the bottom of this page)
The following are provided to you to assist with preparing your application:
- Guidelines for References
- Self Assessment Worksheet
Applications that are submitted will be reviewed by the Academy based on the information submitted by the applicants. The review panel will be looking for the evidence of the activities contained in this document. The information provided in the application and on the CV, from the online form completed by your two references, and the information in your SSH profile will be evaluated to identify those candidates who have demonstrated sustained contributions to SSH and to the healthcare simulation community.
Notifications of those accepted to the Class of 2020 Fellows of the SSH Academy will be made by September 1.
We encourage you to share any prior involvement and contributions in your online application, such as:
- Elected office (BOD, Treasurer…)
- Committee chair or member
- IMSH meeting chair
- IMSH faculty/course director
- Served on Simulation in Healthcare Editorial Board
- Reviewer (Simulation in Healthcare Journal)
- SIG chair or member
- Founding member of SSH
- Working Groups /Special Projects/Task Force chair or member
- Affinity Group chair or member
- Published contributions to simulation (web or hard copy)
- Evidence of support of Mission, Goals and Growth of SSH
- Development of simulation programs
- Scholarly efforts/service advancing simulation
- Technology Innovations
The fee structure is as follows:
- Application fee $100 (for all who submit an application, use the button below)
- Induction fee $250 (first year dues for those selected; SSH Fellows have annual dues)
The Class of 2020 SSH Fellows will be inducted at the President's Diamond Ball at IMSH 2020 in San Diego, CA.
Questions? Please email us!
Q1: What is a simulation specific CV or resume? This is a CV or resume that only has listings that are specific to simulation such as articles written about simulation, simulation-specific work positions, and similar. This aids the reviewers in understanding specific contributions.
Q2: Is this a developmental or learning fellowship? No. The SSH Academy recognizes those who have made sustained contributions to SSH and the healthcare simulation community. There are many other programs that exist (including fellowship opportunities) for those who desire to improve their knowledge, skills, and abilities in healthcare simulation.
Q3: What do the fees support? The application fee supports the review and evaluation process for all applicants which is completed by a multidisciplinary panel of existing SSH Fellows. Annual dues support SSH Academy activities.
Q4: What is meant by being active in the SSH Academy? Many Fellows programs are designed only to recognize individuals. The SSH Academy not only recognizes the key leaders who have made sustained contributions to the field of healthcare simulation, but also expects them to continue to contribute through the activities of the SSH Academy. As such, it is expected that Fellows of the SSH Academy will identify and contribute to projects that support the mission and vision of SSH and the SSH Academy that are worthy of the Fellows time and energy.