Maintaining Your CHSOS® Certification
The CHSOS® credential is valid for a period of three (3) years. Those who hold the CHSOS® credential must maintain the credential and demonstrate their continued involvement in healthcare simulation as well as maintenance of the knowledge, skills, and abilities that are part of the certification. The rationale for the three-year renewal cycle includes:
- Healthcare simulation practice is constantly evolving, and it is imperative that the certificant demonstrate growth in KSAs.
- This period is congruent with other certifications within the credentialing industry.
- The duration is neither too short to be overly burdensome, nor too long to allow stagnation in professional growth.
There are two ways to maintain your certification.
METHOD 1-RECERTIFICATION: Successfully complete the CHSOS® examination within the year prior to your CHSOS® expiration date.
METHOD 2-RENEWAL (recommended by SSH): Submit evidence of ongoing Continued Professional Development (CPD) occurring before your CHSOS® expires and demonstrate ongoing acquisition and demonstration of KSAs in all domains as prescribed by the practice analysis and pertinent to the certification. Download the CHSOS® Renewal Handbook (pdf) for details. Acceptable CPD will be in education or simulation focused activities.
Click here to see a flowchart of how the maintenance of your certification functions.
CPD includes a variety of activities such as (but not limited to):
- Participation in continuing education activities including conferences, webinars, or other education events
- Publishing journal articles, chapters, or books
- Presenting at educational events
Entering Renewal Information or Registering for Recertification
Whichever method you use to maintain your certification, you will need to access the Candidate Management System. You must be logged in to the SSH System. You do not need to be a member of SSH to be certified, but you will need to have an SSH profile if you do not have one.
Please download the CHSOS® Renewal Handbook (pdf) for instructions on entering information for CPD, or on how to select the exam to recertify.
Cost of Maintaining Certification
The cost of maintaining certification is dependent on the method used to recertify.
METHOD 1 (retaking the examination): $395 (USD) for members of SSH and supporting organizations, $495 (USD) for all others
METHOD 2 (submission of CPD): $350 (USD) for members of SSH and supporting organizations, $450 (USD) for all others
Questions? Email the Certification Coordinator